1 - Know the seller
Most counterfeit perfume purchases can be avoided by going to a reputable seller. There are a variety of outlets for perfume, and it’s important to understand the benefits and dangers of each.
- Department stores are always the safest way to buy perfume, as you have the advantage of being able to closely examine the bottle in its packaging and talking to the retail staff. This allows you to approach the staff if it’s possibly a fake, and you are able to return the perfume if it’s not authentic.
- Be very cautious at flea markets or swap meets where sellers can easily rip you off without recourse. Always carefully inspect the perfume before you purchase it, and if at all possible get the vendor’s contact information in case it turns out to be unsatisfactory.
- Feel free to ask the buyer very direct questions based on the information explained here. For example, "Can you please tell me the batch number?" and "Can you put up a photo of the text on the back of the box?", etc.
- When buying online through eBay or Amazon it’s important to check for product and online seller reviews. Make sure the seller is PayPal verified as this means they had to disclose their contact information. Check to see if they have a return policy, and demand one if they don’t. Pay attention to whether the listing is written with proper grammar and spelling.
Why should I buy perfumes from Onyou.it?
- Unless most online shops, we are a family business operating since 1919. Our customer's satisfaction is our top priority. We would dare not sell counterfeit or dangerous products. You can ask us anytime about the producer invoice for the perfume you're willing to buy.
- Every perfume is packed and shipped with rigorous standards, fully compliant with the ADR, RID, ADN, IMDG e ICAO/IATA rules for dangerous/flammable goods.
- We are also top seller on Paypal Protection Program, this means that every item you buy is guaranteed to be original by Paypal, and you are elegible for a full refund by Paypal
2 - Pay attention to the perfume's price
Although this isn't always indicative of the quality of the perfume, if it's really cheap for the "brand" it claims to be, then it's likely to be too good to be true and it isn't the real perfume. There may be exceptions, such as a stock clearance where a store is closing down, but on the whole, the price provides a good indication of authenticity.
3 - Research the perfume beforehand
4 - Check the perfume's wrapping
Legitimate perfumes typically have cellophane tightly wrapped around the boxes. See if the cellophane is loosely or poorly wrapped, to the point where it is moving around the box. Improperly wrapped cellophane is a telltale sign of counterfeit perfumes. 
You can often discern the authenticity of a perfume merely by inspecting the right parts of the box. Before opening your perfume, carefully examine the box for any signs of unprofessional packaging and design.
- Examine the text on the back of the packaging. Check for grammatical errors, misspellings, poorly laid out information, etc. Real packaging for a real perfume should ideally be grammatically correct. Spelling or grammar mistakes can indicate the mark of a counterfeit.
- Real packaging is made from high quality paperboard. Boxes made from thin, flimsy material are often counterfeit.
- Look for the barcode on the packaging. The barcode must be placed on the lowest back portion and not on the sides.
- Check to see if there is any excess glue or tape. Real perfume shouldn’t have any messy glue residue or extra tape inside or outside the container
- Check the control, batch and serial numbers. Authentic perfume will have all of these numbers on the packaging, which can then be used to independently verify its authenticity. Consult the manufacturer to see whether the numbers match with their production numbering.
5 - Know the layers
Authentic perfumes will have three layers of scents that reveal themselves over time, consisting of top, middle and base notes. This complexity ensures that the scent is varied and multidimensional, allowing the scent to change from the initial application until complete skin absorption. Fake perfumes will have one dimensional fragrance layer and it will often have an "off" smell after only a short time of wearing it.
6 - Discern synthetic from natural ingredients
Authentic perfumes have had a lot of work put into creating the different notes in the perfume. They will use a mixture of scents derived from natural products and synthetic products. Cheap perfumes tend to be completely synthetic and therefore lack the complexity of layered perfumes created with natural ingredients.